Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Living colour Series 1

These gorgeous flowers were in a garden I saw in Tassie © intoimages 2010


Colour surrounds us and envigorates our moods. It stirs emotions and memories. The colours of nature are sometimes overwhelmingly awesome, especially in Autumn when the colours of the leaves warm us up on those bitterly cold mornings.

I am going to write a series of articles on colour because it is such a major part of my world and my work as a designer. I am constantly fascinated by the psychology of colour and how we take for granted the effect it has on our daily lives and how we feel.
I've included a few interior pieces from my home to express some ideas on colour and how we choose colours to suit our own personal brand.

My favourite cushions in desert red © intoimages 2010
I saw these cushions and had to have them because desert red reminds me of a time spent in beautiful Broome, in WA. The richness of colour there just blew me away and I couldn't get enough photos of the scenery and brilliance that is the Australian outback. So these cushions are my favourites because they remind me of another time and place but the colour is very powerful - my intoimages colour too!

Must have office coffee mugs - one for me and one for you!
© intoimages 2010

When I saw these I had to have them. These are my work coffee mugs that I only use in my cosy home office. In fact, I'm designing my new office interior around them.
The rich red caught my eye and I feel like I'm treating myself when I drink from them. Anyone who knows me well also knows I love a good coffee. You've gotta have a favourite coffee mug. The rich red appealed to me because of its warmth and the affect it has on my day. It gets me going in the morning!

Some much loved rustic items
© intoimages 2010

Being a country girl, I love a bit of rustic. Brown is a funny colour because once upon a time it used to be boring and bland and mission. Now it is so popular and I think it is because it has a warm and cosy feel about it. It also has a sense of style, depending on how it is used. Many restaurants use it in their decor and I've designed quite a few promotional items for clients using brown in the past couple of years. There is a sophistication to brown that has now been revived.

So join me in celebrating loads of colour and how it affects you in your daily life. Send me your comments and ideas on how colour plays a part in your life.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really inspiring post about colour Rach, I think most of us take the beauty of colours for granted but you're right, the feelings, memories & moods our favourite colours evoke is amazing..X

    ReplyDelete